The only way to describe this home is Spectacular. Stately in appearance and well maintained, this Colonial period, Federal style home, built in 1815 and named Springdale, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The property has been completely updated over the last 3 years. The house has a 50-foot long front porch with double length stairs that leads to a 20-foot long foyer through the front door. Home has over 3000 sq. ft. of space, 4 bedrooms, and 2.5 baths. First floor master bedroom. Two propane fireplaces. Eight large, oversize rooms with tall ceilings. Two covered porches in the rear, one upstairs and one on the first level. Property is nicely landscaped and has a spring house, storage shed, and carport for two vehicles. All this on over 4 acres of beautiful pasture land.
This description and history of Sprigdale is taken from the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Springdale is located in the heart of the great Valley of Virginia, about four miles southeast of Lexington, just off of Wesley Chapel Road. The sole historic building remaining of the property is a two-story, brick temple-wing-plan house. Its gable roof is covered with standing-seam tin. The two-feet-thick foundation walls are constructed of roughly-dressed, uncoursed limestone. The structure began c. 1812 as a Palladian three-part form with a two-story, three bay, front gabled, Greek-temple-form central mass and one-and-a-half-story- flanking wings, all of Flemish bond brick, with integral end chimneys. The wings were raised to two stories in 1914 using bricks from an old law office on the premises. The full-length front porch with a pediment above the front entrance replaced the original, smaller porch in 1914. Among the notable exterior features of the house are its large, distinctive, stuccoed half-moon, or lunette motif in the front gable, and stuccoed jack arches over the windows. The interior of the house features elegant, Federal style carved mantels, paneled wainscoting, wooden cornices and random-width pine flooring. The outline of the original, smaller versions of the flanking wings can be clearly seen in the brickwork at each end of the house. The tops of the original rear walls of the wings are also clearly delineated where the Flemish bond terminates at the one-and-a-half-story levels, continuing to the two-story level with common bond. The 1914 front porch is supported by attractive, slender Doric columns, but the porch roof obscures the window arches across all seven original bays at the first floor level. The two-over-two windows are modern replacements of the 1914 windows. Early, louvered, wood shutters, painted black, and original iron shutter hardware remain intact. Over the front entrance is a decorative transom light with tracery muntins. Stone pillars beneath the present large porch indicate the size of the original much smaller porch. Also original to Springdale is the small, thirteen-pane window above the front door, said to represent the first thirteen states. The bricks are well made and uniform, average sized (approximately 8”x 2.5”x 4”), with smooth faces and dark red color. A small percentage are glazed or fire-darkened. They are said to have been made “just south of the old vegetable garden.” Remains of the old kiln where bricks were made for the house were uncovered on the north side of the yard when a new septic system was installed. The overhand-struck brick joints are fine, with vertical joints measuring about 3/8” on average, and bed joints measuring ¼” on average. Originally the house plan consisted of a front foyer, a large hall and one large room in the center section downstairs, with one-room single story wings on either side. The second floor of the center section contained one large room, a small room and a stair hall. On the first floor are three fine Federal style mantels each with fluted pilasters flanking the firebox opening and variations of a punctate pattern below the mantelshelf. The finest mantel, in the parlor, features a fluted center tablet and a floral punctate motif. The formal rooms staircase walls are treated with painted recessed-paneled wainscoting. Massive, hewn floor joists can be seen in the basement. In one of two basement rooms is a large stone fireplace with a brick segmental arched opening, once used for cooking. In the attic are Roman-numeraled, hand-hewn rafters, with each pair lapped and pegged together. Early dependencies, no longer extant, included log barns and stables, a stone springhouse situated beside a “never failing” spring at the foot of the hill, slave quarters, Joseph Steele’s law office, and a detached brick kitchen with brick floor on the south side of the house. Early 20th-century-alterations, made circa 1908-1914, included construction of the two-story back porches, enlargement of the front porch, addition of two second-floor bedrooms over the one-story wings and addition of a frame kitchen. The old brick kitchen and law office were torn down and the brick used for raising the wings one-half story, and construction of the springhouse.
Significance: Springfield, a fine brick manor house near Lexington, was built c. 1812 by Colonel John Jordan, for Alexander Trimble, a farmer and businessman. Jordan was a well-known entrepreneur and builder during the period in the Lexington area, responsible for the construction of other notable domiciles, including his own mansion called “Stono” in 1818, and also “Little Stono, in 1816,” both of which still stand as landmarks. Like the others, Springdale is noteworthy for its three-part Palladian massing and three-bay, front gabled, central section with lunette. Jordan’s work was heavily influenced by the designs of Thomas Jefferson, for whom he manufactured bricks for use at Monticello in 1805-6. Jordan and business partner Samuel Darst are credited with introducing classical-inspired architecture to the Lexington area. They designed and built the Roman Revival-styled, temple-form, Washington Hall at Washington and Lee University (also in Lexington) in 1824, and a number of other buildings in and around Lexington. Washington Hall is the oldest and most prominent building on the campus. Springdale stands as a significant example of Jordan’s work and the domestic architecture of the period in western Virginia.
John Czekner, Agent
Sterling Properties & Management
Office: 540-462-3770 or Cell: 540-841-1426