Circa 1840 Gothic Victorian Plantation Home... This romantic old plantation home listed in Pine Log & Greek Revival, as Scottland, is noted for its 5 gables and u-shaped front porch with fret sawed wooden columns. It was restored in the 1940's by renowned architect Henry Toombs, President Franklin Roosevelt's architect who designed The Little White House.
This charming plantation home, rich with character and history, sits picturesquely on 2.4 acres on Lanett's most elegant street, lined with estate homes, ancient oaks and towering magnolias. The grand entry hall and main rooms of the original facade feature wide plank heart of pine floors, high ceilings, rich moldings, and tall windows. The gracious formal and informal parlors beckon you to sit and reflect upon the grace and grandeur of an era gone by. The exquisite formal dining room sits gracefully behind French doors and features handpainted wallpaper. Adjacent to a delightful sunroom and overlooking a beautiful courtyard is a spacious sunny kitchen with views of the rolling land, courtyard and lawn. The elegant master on the main has a handsome fireplace and private entrance from the front porch. There is a second lovely bedroom on the main with its own private entrance from the front porch and a full bath. Upstairs are two whimsical children's or guest rooms and a bath. There is a wonderful laundry room and half bath just off the kitchen. A delightful breezeway leads to a garage with a finished space above which is presently used as a gym. The land is reminiscent of "Gone with the Wind." A one-of-a-kind historic treasure!
As written in Pine Log & Greek Revival...”The Scott plantation buildings consisted of three barns, a cotton gin, a sawmill, blacksmith shop and smokehouse. A rock wall, built in landscaping the house to the rear, was erected from stones of the old smokehouse many years later. John Richardson Scott was born May 10, 1833 and died February 19, 1901. He married Louisa J. Fuller, born October 30, 1837 and who died January 14, 1920. They were the great grandparents of future owner T. Scott Avary. Prior to occupancy by the Avary family, the place was owned and operated as a large farm by Mr. Avary's grandparents, Isaac M. Scott, born May 9 1861, who died August 8, 1934. He married Mary Jimmie Warner, born January 26, 1862 and who died August 24, 1925.”
“Architect in charge of restoring the house in 1945 for its then owners, Mr. & Mrs. T. Scott Avary, was Henry Toombs, who kept the quaint character of the place. The front yard, which featured box bordered walks and shrubs with flower beds, originally had a greenhouse of octagonal design on the left. On the right, cedar trees, with tops tied together to make a "tent" shape, formed a cool "summer house," for sitting in the yard. In the restoration, the old greenhouse was removed, but the circle of cedars remains.”
205 Broad St., LaGrange, GA