Built in 1913, this light station named for an eighteenth century Delaware mariner, marks one of a series of shoals along the eastern side of the shipping channel between Cross Ledge and Brandywine Shoal Lights. Lighthouse keepers occupied the quarters until 1975. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NR# 90002188). The former Coast Guard light station will remain an active aid to navigation for the shipping channel with its light and fog signal horn. The light is constructed of cast iron and lined with brick. It is approximately 18.5 miles northwest of Cape May and offshore of Downe Township in New Jersey.
The red conical tower is 59 feet above mean high water. There is a watch deck on the fourth floor and a black lantern topped with a cornice. The three-story interior dwelling area has cast iron floors covered with wood overlays. The former keeper’s kitchen and dining room are on the first floor with two bedrooms and a bathroom on the second; and two more bedrooms on the third. The floors have a height of nine feet and a diameter of approximately 23 feet. Seven windows are on the first floor and eight on the second and third floors. A wooden double door provides access to the living area on the south side of the tower. Six round portholes are at the basement level.
The foundation is a concrete and cast iron caisson approximately 40 feet in diameter and 43 feet in height. A 40-foot wide bank of riprap was placed around the footing of the foundation to prevent scouring. A railed landing platform and a ladder is fixed to the first deck under a landing hatch. There are two boat landings and ladders, one on the west side and another on the east side of the tower. Photo credit: Dave Sleeper
U.S. General Services Administration