The Glebe House of Southwark Parish in Surry County, constructed just after 1721, is one of a small group of colonial glebe houses in Virginia. Located on its original site this historic property includes 21 acres and a main dwelling house centered on a hill surrounded by rolling pastures. The grounds include an expansive lawn, huge stately sycamores, English boxwood, crepe myrtles and several outbuildings. The property also includes a large two-story horse barn with stalls, a tack room and office, equipment shed and an original 18th century smokehouse.
The pristine brick dwelling is a three-bay, story-and-a-half gambrel-roofed structure set on a low basement. The brick is laid in Flemish bond above and below the beveled water table. The house has a single-pile, central passage plan and the central passage features an early triple-run stair. The interior includes approximately 2,507 square feet, a formal parlor and dining room, four fireplaces, two partially finished basement rooms with interior and exterior entrances, two second floor bedrooms and two full and one half bath. Twentieth century upgrades include a modern kitchen open to a family room, central heat and modern baths. Many original interior features are intact including handsome woodwork graining, wide-plank tongue and groove pine flooring and door hardware.
This rare 18th century brick structure is associated with the Reverend John Cargill, a prominent figure among early 18th century Virginia clergy. Southwark Parish was set off from James City Parish in 1647, and until 1738, was one of two parishes, which served the present Surry and Sussex County area. In 1721, land for a parish church or glebe at Indian Springs Plantation was left to the parish by Captain Francis Clements, who served as Clerk of Surry County from 1697-1708. Architectural evidence suggests that the Cargills parish built him the present house on the glebe soon after. Cargills successors included Peter Davis (listed as rector of the parish in 1758), Benjamin Blagrove (1774, 1776), John Henry Burgess (1785) and Samuel Butler (1790, 1792).
The property was listed as a Virginia Landmark and also on the National Register of Historic houses in 1976. It is located on Colonial Trail West, approximately five miles north of Town of Surry and 9 miles from the Jamestown/Scotland ferry on the historic James River.
Catherine Correll Walls, Broker
Virginia Home and Land Company, LLC
Office: 757-294-9100 or cell: 757-570-3376